If there’s any meal you should never skip out on (unless you’re intermittent fasting), it’s breakfast.
What a better way to provide energy and brighten up your mood?
Skipping out on breakfast has been shown to have a ton of negative effects:
- Increases risk of heart disease
- Worsens mood and energy levels
- Increases stress hormones
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Causes migraines
While skipping out on breakfast might not seem like much, it can have some seriously negative effects.
Not to mention, people who skip out on their first meal of the day tend to indulge in unhealthy foods later in the day to fight their hunger and cravings.
This has been shown to increase obesity! You read that right, skipping out on breakfast could cause you to gain weight, not slim down.
That being said I’m here to provide you with the best and my favorite vegan muscle building meal.
It’ll help you get the quality protein, carbs, and calories your muscles need to repair and recover.
It’ll also have you feeling full, give you tons of energy, and get your day started right.
Recipe – Steel Cut Oats Protein Bowl
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup of steel cut oats – I prefer the ones from Trader Joe’s
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- ½ cup of frozen mixed berries
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Pour ½ cup of steel cut oats inside a medium-sized bowl and fill with soy milk.
- Heat in microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Once done check to see how oatmeal is formed. If oatmeal has not absorbed a lot of the soy milk, microwave for another 30 seconds. If oatmeal has absorbed too much soy milk, add more then microwave again. The oatmeal should come out looking puffy.
- Add 1 table of maple syrup to microwaved oatmeal. Stir with spoon.
- Top the oatmeal with chocolate chips.
- Layer 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds on top
- Take frozen fruit and heat in microwave until thawed out.
- Top bowl with the frozen fruit and finish by adding ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds
- Enjoy the gains!
There’s no right way to make this protein bowl. Mix and match whatever foods you like.
I often like to replace the hemp seeds with chia seeds.
I also like switching out the pumpkin seeds with this peanut butter protein granola from Trader Joe’s.
Maybe grind up some dark chocolate and sprinkle it on top.
Use different kinds of fruits, add vanilla extract, cinnamon or whatever toppings your taste buds will enjoy!
The possibilities are endless. Take this recipe and tweak it in whatever way you wish!
I eat this protein bowl every single morning, and if you decide to do the same, it’s a good idea to switch up the ingredients in your bowl every once in a while so you’re not eating the exact same thing every morning. If you don’t, you’ll make your taste buds pretty unhappy and it can get rather boring.
This recipe is designed as a muscle building and energy boosting meal. When creating it, I made it sure it had a lot of protein, carbohydrates, and calories.
Calories – 945
Protein – 38 grams
Carbohydrates – 114 grams
Fat – 40 grams
Not only does the protein bowl taste delicious but it’ll help get you the necessary macronutrients for maximum muscle growth.
Super easy and quick to make that utilizes whole based organic foods, this will also give you a good amount of micronutrients and a very low amount of sodium.
Remember, you are what you eat! Don’t skip out on this delicious breakfast!